Advowsons

A list of advowsons belonging to Queens’ College:

1460: The Rectory of St. Botolph’s, Cambridge, was purchased by Queens’ from Corpus Christi College. (Andrew Docket, first President, was the incumbent at the time).

1477: The Rectory of Foulmire, in Cambridgeshire, was given to Queens’ by Richard, Duke of Gloucester; but this grant was resumed by King Henry VII.

1491?: The perpetual nomination to the Rectory of St. Andrew’s, Canterbury, was procured for Queens’ by the Lady Joan Ingaldesthorpe from the abbot and convent of St Augustine: but the College has not exercised its nomination since the Dissolution of Monasteries. The final presentation from Queens’ was John Cook (or Cokke, Cocke, Cockes, Cockys, Cocks, Cox) in 1521. He was a Fellow 1510–​1522, died 1544. The original church was demolished in 1763, rebuilt on another site, consecrated 1774, closed in the 1880s, and demolished in 1956 [Historic Canterbury].

1560: The Vicarage of Oakington, Cambridgeshire, was purchased by this College, with the Manor, from Anthony Pope. The Manor and Vicarage were formerly held by Crowland (or Croyland) Abbey. Following the dissolution of the abbey, the Crown in 1544 sold the Manor and Vicarage to a syndicate of 13 Londoners. By 1549, it appears that Anthony Pope had become the sole owner. [Victoria History: Oakington Manors] 

1572: The Rectory of Eversden Parva, Cambridgeshire, was given to Queens’ by Mr. John Chetham, of Great Livermere, Suffolk.

1637?: The Rectory of Cheverel Magna, Wiltshire, was given to Queens’ by Bishop John Davenant. See 1774 for disposal.

1637: The Rectory of Newton Toney, Wiltshire, was given to Queens’ by Bishop John Davenant.

1676?: The Rectory of Hickling, Nottinghamshire, was given to Queens’ by Mrs. Sarah Bardsey, widow of Dr. Edmund Bardsey, Fellow of this College 1608–​1613, Rector of Hickling from 1617, resigned sometime, died 1653. (Hickling Church History)

1734: The Rectory of South Walsham, Norfolk, was purchased by this College with several benefactions: of which, those of Richard Bryan, D. D., Vice-President of this College (died 1680); John Hayes, D. D., Vice-President (died 1731); and Ralph Perkins, D. D., Fellow of this College, and Prebendary of Ely (died 1751);—were the principal.

1734: According to the 1823 Form for the Commemoration of Benefactors, the Rectory of Rockland St. Peter’s Norfolk was purchased with the same benefactions. However, all other evidence points to Queens’ being patrons of Rockland St Mary Norfolk. The advowson of Rockland St Mary was sold by Queens’ College on 1 January 1885 to J. Hotblack, Esq., for £3000.

1736: According to the 1823 Form for the Commemoration of Benefactors, the Rectory of Sandon, Essex, was presented to Queens’ by Mrs. Mary Buck, widow; who had formerly been married to Ralph Davenant, son of Edward Davenant, sometime Fellow of this College.

[Mary was the eldest daughter of the Revd John Johnson D.D. (d. 1669), Rector of St Mary Matfelon, Whitechapel 1628–68, Rector of Stepney 1628–69. In 1666 Mary married (1) William Vesey, Lord of the Manor of Bradwell, Suffolk (d. 1670). On unknown date Mary married (2) the Revd Ralph Davenant (d. 1681). Between 1682 and 1684, Mary married (3) Thomas Buck(e) J.P.,M.A. of Westwick, Oakington, Cambs. (d. 1702). Mary died, will proved 1709/10 March 18. At the time of her death, her closest living relative was her niece Rachel Burdet, who was a major beneficiary of Mary’s will.
Ralph Davenant (the son of Edward Davenant, Fellow of Queens’ 1615–1625), matriculated at Oriel College Oxford 1655, Fellow of Trinity Hall Cambridge 1664 by Royal recommendation, Rector of St Mary Matfelon, Whitechapel 1668–81, Rector of Stepney 1669–81 (i.e. successor of John Johnson), Canon of Exeter 1677. Died 1680/1.
The patron of the Sandon rectory: in 1557 and 1558 had been Susan Clarencieux; in 1635 was King Charles I; in 1660 and 1684 October was King Charles II; but in 1685 November the joint patrons were Thomas and Mary Buck, who presented the Revd Theophilus Burdet (3rd of that name, 1660–1710), who married Mary’s niece Rachel in 1686 June. Thomas and Mary were patrons again in 1694 after Theophilus had become Rector of Hallaton, Leics. But in 1714 the patron was Rachael Burdett, widow (of Theophilus), who had presumably inherited the advowson from her aunt Mary. The first occasion that Queens’ College was patron was in 1763, when they presented John Lewis M.A.,B.D., a Fellow since 1749.
It has not been discovered how the patronage of Sandon moved from the Crown to the Bucks in 1684–5, nor how it came to Queens’ College between 1714–63: it was certainly not directly from Mary Buck.]

1774: The Rectory of Seagrave, Leicestershire, was obtained from William, Earl of Radnor in exchange (facilitated by Act of Parliament 14 Geo. 3 c. 41) for the Rectory of Cheverel Magna, Wiltshire (see 1637). The advowson of Seagrave was sold by Queens’ College in 1884 to the incumbent, the Revd James Edward Dalton (c.1808–​1889), for £1500. Dalton was a Queens’ alumnus: matric. 1826, B.A. 1830, Fellow 1832–​52, Vice-President 1847–​52.

1779: The Rectory of Grimstone, Norfolk, was purchased with money left by Henry James, D. D., President 1675–1717 in his will.

1841: According to external histories, the Rectory of Bow Brickhill, Buckinghamshire, was in the gift of Queens’ College from 1841 to 1892. The advowson of Bow Brickhill was sold by Queens’ College in 1883 to O.L. Fowke for £2000.